[Tig] HD-CAM to inferno - bad reults

Grant Petty grantpetty
Sat Dec 1 13:38:16 GMT 2001

Hi,

As far as I know, HD cam uses DV compression, and the image is divided
up into standard definition streams which are then processed by multiple
DV codecs. The resultant compressed video data is then combined from the
separate codecs, and then recorded to tape.

It's kind of like the DV camera of HDTV. I need to check on this, but I
believe this is how its done.

DV compression is nicer than JPEG, but it's fairly heavy, and that would
account for your problems. HDCAM is also 8 bit, while HD-D5 uses less
compression, and is 10 bit.

This is a little off topic, but the Panasonic guys told me they market
the DVC-HD products into the pro market, while the HD-D5 is targeted to
the high end post production market, because the image quality is much
higher.

Regards,

Grant Petty.
Blackmagic Design