[Tig] RE: Compressed Grade Transfers

Rob Lingelbach rob
Mon Nov 5 23:21:03 GMT 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 09:46:08AM +1000, Dominic Case wrote:

> > It's my humble opinion that we try to mimic the dynamic range
> > of film in
> > video not by showing all the (limited) dynamic range
>
> I think the purpose of the compressed grade is not to "mimic" the dynamic
> range of film, but to "use" the dynamic range of film to best advantage.

right, I didn't mean that the mimicry happens during a 'compressed'
grade, but that it is a general technique in color correction for
obfuscating video's limitations.  If you have very little curve to the
signal, you have very little sensation of the relative spacing/number of
the bits available, therefore you're not tipping your hand as to the
inferiority of video (over film).  I think this is kind of why the
crush+clip fashion came about in the recent past.

> in Australia - and other places. I like Mike Most's term Video Interpositive
> (VIP). If you know how film duplication works, it's an excellent metaphor.
> Compressed versus uncompressed is similar to transfering from interpos
> versus transfering from print. Both work, but you have more room to move
> with an interpos.

I remember when Encore started doing it, roughly the early 90's, and
now I know of other episodic houses using that technique.
It's better suited for shows I think than for commercials, in general.

--
Rob Lingelbach                         http://www.alegria.com
System Administrator                     rob at film.calarts.edu
Computer Animation Lab                        rob at alegria.com