[Tig] Other interesting stuff at NAB

Michael Orton mike
Sun Apr 14 19:19:01 BST 2002

Perhaps I'm becoming jaded, or perhaps its the much longer
time-to-market for NAB equipment (often showing many months before
availability), but NABs of late have seemed to be less than inspiring.

There were some noteworthy items: the Viper camera, of course being a
very significant development for TIG'rs end of the business. I have
to mention two and a half quite amazing items which we saw on the
Cintel stand, no less.

The first was the OSCAR (sic?) scratch concealment that was working
on the system that David Bernstein was demonstrating. I had been
aware of the product for a while, but had kind of passed over it. The
near-perfect restoration of a film frame that Peter Swinson had
sandpapered/scoured with a wire Brillo Pad was almost beyond belief!
I think it is definitely time to bid adios to perchlor/wet gate
technology; although I didn't ask Peter if the "OSCAR" was
non-carcinogenic, I'd say it was a pretty safe bet.

The second amazing thing was the fantastic 22" IBM LCD panel at the
front of the stand that Peter was using to demonstrate the compressed
4k versus full-rez 2k images. If I remember correctly, the resolution
was 3840 horizontal by 2048? vertically. Anyway, for a mid forties
guy like myself, the dot pitch was so fine that I could not focus
closely enough to resolve them (about 4" from the screen). The effect
was exactly like a very large color transparency on a light table.
Also amazing was the pricing of less than $10 grand. I want one......

The half amazing thing was only half amazing, because Peter has been
beating this drum for a while, and it obviously encourages sales of
the C-Reality among others. This was the demonstration of the higher
perceived resolution of a native 4k scanned neg frame compressed to
yield a 800k frame; versus a native 2k scanned IP. Peter's point is
that the compression works well on the 4k frame because of the
natural HF filtering characteristic of the film. I'm told that the
material is on the Cintel site, and I encouraged Peter to put the
entire frames (50MB) up for people to play about themselves.

What else was good? Well I was intrigued by the new ITK Northlight
scanner, which, like their other products, looked so aesthetically
pleasing that it just had to work well! I'm looking forward to
getting some material scanned on this machine. Native resolution was
6k, subsampled to 4 or 2k.

OK disclaimer: I dont have any ties to any of these companies. I do
consult for Mathematical Technologies Inc (MTI), so have an interest
in film restoration, color correction, up/down conversion and all the
other goodies they do.
All the information presented is solely 'coz I found it interesting.
If you dont, too bad I wasted your time, cause I know others will!

Nice to see you all again at NAB.
Cheers
Mike Orton
--
Weird Science Inc.
(310) 753-1362

http://www.weirdscience.tv

"No race, country or individual has a monopoly of good or evil"

- Winston Spencer Churchill