[Tig] Telecine Output

Steven Gladstone veenotph
Fri Apr 19 05:00:33 BST 2002

Hello:
		Cinematographer here, so please forgive if this is a non answereable
question. My understanding (which could be flawed), is that the Telecine
equiped with say a DaVincci 8:8:8 (could be other color correctors as
well I imagine), can output Standard def NTSC at 4:4:4 (or better? What
is 8:8:8?, I feel I understand 4:4:4). So it can output 525 lines of
resolution at full color sampling in real time, and that when going to
tape (Digi Beta for example) the tape deck compresses the color sample
ratio to 4:2:2 and introduces a 2:1 compression. Or is it the Telecine
that converts to 4:2:2 and adds 2:1 compression.

Here is why I ask. When transferring to Video, I can't afford a 2K
transfer, but as I have a N.L.E. and Digital Fusion, I could convert
Computer files to NTSC at home using my N.L.E., so If I could get the
Standard def files of 4:4:4 to my system (portable hard disk array), any
compositing could be done with full color sampling, and all the footage
could stay in 4:4:4 through editing and compositing (and final color
tweak), until I'm ready to lay it off to tape.

This way I avoid having to edit, and composite with compressed images,
plus I get REAL time color correction, and the Colorists input and work
is maintained all the way through. Granted it is standard def and not
Higher res, but still it would be 4:4:4, and real time. So I ask you is
such a thing possible today?

--
Steven Gladstone
Cinematographer - Gladstone Films