[Tig] "HD vs. film"

Steve Hullfish steve.hullfish
Wed Apr 24 20:51:13 BST 2002

I wrote an article on this subject for the local production magazine in
Chicago. I interviewed several cinematographers that also worked in
video occasionally. They contended that film is actually much easier to
light for than video, because film is more forgiving and its greater
contrast range allows a wider range of acceptable exposures that will
end up delivering a good image. With video, they needed to take much
greater care because they were much more limited with the range of
levels that would yeild an acceptable result. I just interviewed some
image scientists at Kodak recently who had a similar take on the
question. They said that OCN (original camera negative) intentionally
has a huge latitude  so that when printing it or trasnferring it, the DP
or timer or colorist can choose the range that best suits the image.