[Tig] telecine genealogy

Emory Cohen ecohen
Mon Jun 3 19:02:16 BST 2002

In the early '60s (1960?) Glen Glenn (the man who founded Glen Glenn Sound) and Mark Armistead (Signal Corps officer who bought Mitchell cameras from the govt. after WW2 and started a camera rental company in Hollywood) formed a joint venture to build the first color tv remote unit, Glenn-Armistead.  They hired Joe Bluth who then hired Carl Hansamen (sp?), Gus Dato, Bob Ringer, Oscar Wilson, Ken Lampken, Brad Kemp and others.  The remote unit was sold to NBC to do the World Series when NBC went all color.

Bluth, Wilson, Kemp, and Ringer proposed a tape to film system to Technicolor, obtained funding, and started Vidtronics.  Vidtronics was housed in the original (1929)  west coast headquarters of Technicolor (now owned by Laser-Pacific).  Vidtronics moved to larger quarters (the former Bruning building) in the early '70s.  Many interesting people worked for Vidtronics during its history.

Joe Bluth left Vidtronics and headed CFI Video in the later '70s (until Mel Saulsen took over after selling Acme Videotape to CFI), then formed Bluth Video which, I think, was purchased by Andy Macintire, who previously worked for Vidtronics.  Many interesting people worked at Bluth Video, CFI Videotape, and Andy Macintire Enterprises.

Bob Ringer went to Image Transform, which began Toronto, began operations in the CFI building then moved to North Hollywood.  Bob Ringer worked for Andy Macintire briefly then returned to Image Transform.  About 1979 Image Transform was bought by Compact Video.  Ringer left Compact and started Ringer Video Services.  Many interesting people worked at Image Transform and Compact Video.

Gus Dato left Vidtronics and went to work for Cooke optics, then went to ABC.

Oscar Wilson left Vidtronics and became the G.M. of Trans-American Video (which was ultimately purchased by Andy Macintire).  After a lenthy illness Oscar joined Shoreline, moved to Compact Video Systems, then to Ikegami, and now has a bed and breakfast in Arrowhead.  Many interesting peope worked for TAV and Shoreline.

At one time it seemed that the Hollywood post-production community was made up of two groups, those who came from Vidtronics and those who came from TAV.  Many technologies flowed from these "founding companies", plus CFI Video, Glen Glenn Sound, Pacific Video, and others.  The pasts and futures of many west-coast industry leaders are intertwined.

-Emory Cohen