[Tig] Film grading

Ken Robinson crash2010
Mon Mar 11 09:09:03 GMT 2002

 I think that you will find that different people favor different methods for Digital Intermediates at present.
1. Use the telecine to colour correct direct from the OCN as per a commercials session and then dump to disc for further fx work or shoot out.
2. Scan the complete OCN to Disc, either using software such as 'Puller', or using the edl to conform the data on the disc so that you can then colour correct in sequence. This method is used with systems such as Specter or the new 5D Colossus.
Comments:
I think that you will find a number of fast scanners at NAB this year. I am talking faster than real time 2k and about 8 frames per second 4k. Whether anyone can afford them is another matter!
Everytime I blink the price of Disc space falls. What did you guys at VTR pay for your first 300 Gigs... Probably the same as 10 tera now??!!
My personal preference as a colourist is to colour correct off disc in sequence on a large screen display. You really get a feel for what you will get after shoot out and printing.
Arguments will be regarding bit depth that can be output from the various scanners available now, not to mention the capital cost of equipment involved. Set up for using Log scanning. Calibration from scanning to printing. This by the way includes, in some cases getting the lab on your side to produce what you want, not what they want!
Things are changing fast, put your seatbelts on!
Ken Robinson
  Marc Wielage <mfw at musictrax.com> wrote: JCS at jclement at onetel.net.uk commented on 3/9/02 1:52 PM:

> I heard that a full digital grade on a feature film is usually done on an IP
> but there is a loss of resolution compared to grading from OCN. Doing this
> way also means you have to wait for the film to be finished to start the
> grade. It makes more sense to scan OCN material once at the beginning then
> conform and grade from disk as post production goes on. I know Lord Of The
> Rings was done the second way, what about films graded in LA ?

As far as I know, most films that have gone through the digital intermediate
process have done so from cut camera negative (OCN), hot-spliced normally,
just as they would at the lab prior to creating a physical IP.

Get personalised at My Yahoo!.