[Tig] Pulling Hi-Res Files in TK

Stuart Monksfield smonksfield
Wed Apr 23 00:13:51 BST 2003

Clark Bierbum wrote:
> A CCD machine is limited to the imaging head
> resolution so this "divide and conquer" method won't work.

No so.
Not all CCD machines are limited by the CCD array. We often make multiple
passes on our Sony VIALTA and stitch the results together in software. We do
this quite a bit in 8 perf mode where the Neg is actually from a loads of
35mm stills camera 'motion freeze' rig. Passing the heavily spliced sequence
through twice to pick off Left an Right halves. Depending on the framing
requirement, we even use the mechanical rotate function of the motorised
imager to spin it 90degrees making each tile 1080 pixels by 1920 lines.

If we were so inclined (and so far we've not been) we could even image a
S35mm frame with the 16mm zoom lens fitted and could probably frame about 4
vertical x 4 horizontal tiles out of it for stitching together. The result
would therefore be 7680 pixels wide by 4320 lines high, imaged natively at
444 RGB 10-bit.

For a one off we'd probably give it a go, but for repeated use I think an
Imagica scanner sounds easier.
"A stitch in time, saves nine" does not apply in every case !

Stuart Monksfield
Cutting Edge Post
Brisbane, Australia