[Tig] Neophyte with calibration questions

Mark Jaszberenyi mark
Tue Apr 29 01:18:45 BST 2003

Re: [Tig] Neophyte with calibration questionsRichard,

The reason for the "just visible" definition for setting the black with the pluge
is  that the human eye is usually more responsive in detecting slight differences
between two very dark patches than most available measurement devices,
at least the inexpensive ones.

Experience shows that "just visible differences" gets the job done more
precisely than using the measurement devices, and it is usually much faster,
due to the device needs a long measurement time because of the very low
light levels.

Humans have highly advanced vision that is 'tuned' to detect these edges
of two very dark patches, like in the pluge. I guess this ability added a lot
to the survival rate and hunting success during the night.

Mark

---
Mark Jaszberenyi
CEO and Founder