[tig] Re: Once upon a time in REC709...

mhafner at imdb.com mhafner
Wed Nov 5 11:44:10 GMT 2003

>To me "shot on digital' means little plastic garbage to
>fill the mind with meaningless filler.

Digital as opposed to analogue has no specific look. Specific implementations
of digital and specific use of that implementation have their looks.
Just as PCM 24/192 can sound like anything from UKW radio to music casettes
to LPs to CDs to analogue master tapes digital film can look anything from
8mm to 70mm and from VHS to Super Duper HD. Digital is simply an alternative
representation of an analogue signal.

#Marc, don't believe everything that comes out of IMDB.

or any other database, by the way. Large databases always have errors. And
if the rate is only 0.1% it's still many thousands.

#Not sure how to make this politically correct.  What IMDB probably bases
#their data on are the published credits.

Anything else would be unprofessional.
Uncredited 'credits' are present where verifiable and appropriate and
brought to IMDB's attention, properly attributed as "uncredited".

#I also saw the "Digital" screening of 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico' at
#the Pacific Grove Theaters in Los Angeles.
#I was very, very disappointed by what I saw.

How can digital screenings go 'wrong'? Projector issues?

#This leads to a question:  What does the average viewer think of these
#artifacts (if they see them at all) without the benefit of knowing a bit
#about the process?

They don't see them.

#I saw a 35mil print - which is why I was so shocked.

Welcome to the club.

#I agree and I was equally pissed with the way that Michael Hafner came out
#guns blazing against the noise reduction issues in Seabiscuit.  That being
#said I see his critique as being one of taste versus my gripe as being one
#of plain error

That's debatable as long as we don't know for sure how truthful the anonymous
posting was.

#One of the many problems with digital media.  It can be copied with out a
#permit from the epa.

Digital can be copy protected in ways analogue can only dream of. And it
can be copied without quality loss, as opposed to analogue. Again it's
all up to the implementation, but as basic approach digital has the advantage.

Michel Hafner
www.imdb.com