[tig] SAN's Not OT

Rob Lingelbach rob
Tue Nov 18 21:13:08 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:32:41AM +0100, Andreas Wider?e Andersen wrote:

> this too and since I'm familiare with FreeBSD/Linux and many other Unix OSs
> this would be a perfect sollution for us.
>
> Is the Linux box set up with Samba? If not, how do you share the disk?

incidentally, RedHat Linux has gone corporate in a big way,
the main OS will now be called Enterprise RedHat and will
cost in the range of $1000.  They are discontinuing support
as of the end of the year for 7.x, 8.x, and in April for
9.x.  There will be an effort (called Fedora) for
development of an open source version of RedHat but for
those who thought RedHat was synonymous with open source,
the end is in sight.  In my opinion this is very bad for
linux in general and may force many people to go to one of
the other linux distributions or even to a different OS.

I?ve run RedHat for 5 years and now think I may return to
Sun Solaris, which I used for many years before Linux; though
not open source, it is virtually bulletproof and
fantastically supported-  there are patches released even
now for Solaris 2.5.1, which is about 8 years old.

Not to mention that the Sun hardware is (in my opinion)
much more solid and well-engineered than your basic PC.
The SPARC had a 64 bit data path starting in 1996.

(i am not in any way affiliated with Sun)

--Rob
Rob Lingelbach
tig founder, unix system administrator
http://www.colorist.org