[tig] Winged Migration

Rob Lingelbach rob
Fri Nov 21 22:37:47 GMT 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:41:41PM -0500, anders uhl wrote:

> One of the first things that really struck me was the exquisite
> operating.  They used all sorts of rigs including cranes (CAMERA cranes
> I mean), robotic mobilators, ultralights and those powered paraglider
> things and boats - oh and shoulders.

a semantic problem arose in my mind when I remembered,
halfway through the film, a disclaimer at the beginning that
the film used no "special effects".  what is the
definition of special effects exactly?  Because I am tempted
to include what must have been extensive audio effects work
in the term special effects, though maybe over time "special
effects" has come to mean "visual effects" and doesn?t refer
to audio.  I would be really amazed to hear that there was
not some foley, dubbing, etc. done when many of the shots
would have had the annoying noise of an engine.

Also I am surprised that the first sequence, a long dissolve between
winter and summer with an apparently locked-off camera,
didn?t have any image manipulation, other than repositioning
and color correction.

regards
--Rob

--