[tig] foveon news

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines
Thu Feb 12 02:03:51 GMT 2004

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004, at 01:04  PM, Peter Swinson wrote:

> This is true, however, I believe that Fujifilms answer, and I maybe
> wrong
> here, is to co-site two sensor photosites with differnent capture
> ranges
> for each output pixel.

Yes, Peter is correct here.

It's a bit like film emulsions that are coated with both slow and fast
emulsions -- EG&G used to make a special stock for shooting rocket
launches that had three different color emulsions of different speeds,
so nothing would burn out.

I'm guessing the Fuji sensor uses one microlens per dual sensor.  They
also were working with hexagonal sensors, which was of some advantage
in reducing aliasing.

> ... the photodiode scenario that has a very wide
> dynamic range, being instanteneous rather than accumlative is, of
> course
> the principle of Flying Spot telecine detectors.

Remember the early experiments with Flying Spot studios?  They were
pretty dark...  everything was lit by CRTs aimed at the subject through
lenses, and there were sensors where the lighting grid would be...

Jeff "lit by flat panels these days" Kreines