[tig] what in the world.

Kelly Armstrong kelly
Wed May 26 04:12:13 BST 2004

Which brings me to a question we constantly battle with.
 Clients frequently complain how things never look the
same at their office, at home, etc.  I guess mostly at
their office, where CD's are giving the final okay for
release.

We always offer to have one of our engineers go and set up
their monitors.  Obviously we have no control over who
cranks what  knob on what monitor at a given agency.
 Having said that,

  I was wondering if anyone else deals with this issue.  I
have pondered the idea of having a "consumer monitor" in
my room, but realize I am opening an endless can of worms.
  As a Colorist, I have to convice the clients that the
images they see, albeit on an extremely expensive monitor
which will in no way come close to what they are seeing at
home, is what they must sign off on as it is the true
color they are setting.

I do try to convice clients to be conservative in certain
issues and take liberty in others as I know how an image
will end up looking as a general rule on tv.  (I am
talking commerical work here -- although I did ask a demo
artist at the Discreet NAB booth how he dealt with
inconsistencies in projection screen color imaging on DI
work.  The end result, the same.  Trust YOUR monitor as
"GOD".)

Any similar situations out there?

Kelly Armstrong
Slightly Older Colorist