[tig] Cyan Dye Tracks

Nichols Craig Craig.Nichols
Thu Sep 30 14:33:06 BST 2004

Hi Dave,

Some manufacturers have experienced hum problems when introducing LED readers to projectors.  Perhaps there are more nasty magnetic fields, very bright stray light present, or perhaps the pickups are not selective enough to deal with only red light, but I honestly don't know.  If someone can just use existing pickups and an LED on an existing telecine pickup, then by all means, they should try and report back if they have success. I would wish them all the luck in the world, and hope they succeed, because I always liked simple better.  ;-}  On Dolby's website, there used to be several articles about the virtues, advantages, and benefits of reverse scan led readers.  I have not looked recently.  Perhaps there is more at www.dyetracks.org.

Disclaimer.. I work for Thomson.  Thomson welcomes others to try different methods to reproduce cyan tracks but Thomson, or I do not assume any liability or risk for anyone's attempt to do so.

Craig Nichols
Senior Technical Service Engineer
DFA Film Products
Thomson Broadcast Media Solutions
craig.nichols at thomson.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Corbitt [mailto:dcorbitt at postlogic.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 5:22 AM
To: Nichols Craig; Telecine Internet Group
Subject: RE: [tig] Cyan Dye Tracks
Hi Craig,

Why would LEDs produce more hum than unfiltered Tungsten lamps as the
optical exciter?
Hum is a signal to noise issue. If the light source is too
dim and the gain has to be cranked up on the sensors, then hum pickup may
become an issue from ambient light or magnetic fields. But the new ultra
bright LEDs are VERY bright and should provide at least as much light
energy as the white light of the traditional tungsten bulb if designed
properly. More light = more signal = better signal to noise ratio. Its an
engineering problem and probably not a difficult one. I think
re-engineering the entire assembly and placing the LEDs on the other side
(in the capstan groove) would be a difficult and costly design and of no
obvious improved result. Good frequency response has been achieved with top
side exciter assemblies for a long time. Ideally, the lamp should be on the
emulsion side for best resolution of fine detail within the optical track.
Print material is normally "emulsion side up" on today's (and yesterday's)
telecines and Cyan optical tracks are a release print issue. Changing the
light source is relatively simple IMHO. Thomson? Cintel? We know you are
listening. Can we hear from you on this issue? What are you planning to do
and how much will it cost?

Dave Corbitt
Post Logic NY