[tig] be the first on your block

Rob Lingelbach rob
Fri Sep 3 00:10:25 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:07:05AM -0700, Robb Cadzow wrote:
> This is such great forum seems a shame to have to resort to this to
> keep it going! Ever thought about some minor advertising or squeezing a
> few manufacturers?

that's exactly what I do Robb, but for some reason i'm not as successful
at it as Geoff and the CML, which is a group modelled somewhat after this
on.

I have talked to Geoff about it and I try to do what he does (ask the
manufacturers for contributions based on a formula of participation) and
though there are some that have been forthcoming and supportive (see
the TIG TWiki pages for lists) I get nowhere near what Geoff gets.  However,
remember that this the TIG has been traditionally user-sponsored with
some manufacturer participation; I still think that is a good way to run
it because regular users get the chance to feel like they are supporting
a good cause, and also importantly, we have always split off the advertising
and PR from companies into the 'tig-announce' list, though the definition
of what is or is not advertising has blurred a bit over the years.

There are some people and companies who have been greatly supportive of
the tig over the years and they are credited on the TIG pages.. they know
who they are :]  some have helped tremendously, and are in the category
"Amici Emeriti" on the list.  However, the great
majority of our 1200 subscribers don't make any kind of contribution
however.  I guess that's just the way it is, and I'm not bitter about it,
I just need to make clear what is the situation.  and make known also
how grateful I am to those who do their bit.   see
http://tig.colorist.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/FriendsofTIG    ...and
http://tig.colorist.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/TIGSponsorLogo

> That being said, where do I send my check?

make it out to Rob Lingelbach and send it to

Rob Lingelbach
8830 Sabre Street
Queens Village NY 11427-2726

or, use the paypal interface on the main tig page near the bottom, the
"make a donation" button.  http://tig.colorist.org    this is a bit
easier than checks for me to deal with.

best regards
--Rob
Rob Lingelbach
tig founder, coadmin
http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html
Key fingerprint = E547 6FD3 13D2 A1AB F795  B102 80D6 4C93 F73A 7736
Public key avaialable on pgp.mit.edu