[tig] printer points exposure and ire:

Greg D. gd.tk
Mon Sep 6 19:48:28 BST 2004

I realize that my post the other day wasn't very helpful regarding Rob's
original question. It just seems that folks have been chasing a way to give
quantifiable feedback (in addition to the subjective and aesthetic) to DPs
during transfer for a long time.  There is SO much latitude in the film
especially when graded digitally/electronically.  IMHO, more robust language
is necessary for feedback.  And, I think most colorists and DP teams have
indeed developed ways to convey information back and forth.  Dialogue and
personal service go much further than a set of converted numbers referencing
an "older" (albeit not obsolete yet) way of working.

I do think most folks are happy to see more and more film color-enhanced
digitally/electronically allowing for the continuation of the creative
process for the final imagery.  Also, DPs and colorists have enjoyed the
ability to do so much more "fixing" and changing using today's systems.  Of
course DPs need feedback; I'm just not sure "ire to printer points" is the
most relevant today and that we should move forward somehow.

Perhaps the folks that are scanning "digital clones" of the negative,
yielding the truest of "one-lights," can share what kind of feedback DPs are
getting from seeing and/or hearing about their film after these types of
scans.  I know that "dailies" to work with are further graded and/or
enhanced post scanning;  but, I'm sure folks can glean very useful exposure
(neg density) information from these "full-latitude" scans.  As I'm writing
this, a post mentioning Kodak's TCS box popped up.  This technology indeed
sounds more forward thinking than trying to convert ire to printer points.

-Greg Dildine