[tig] RE: Tig digest, Vol 1 #1005 - 6 msgs

Laurence Claydon laurence
Mon Sep 20 10:14:23 BST 2004

Hi,

No RED-LED optical reader assembly is available for retrofitting to telecine. Having said that, if a market exists, it is not a difficult task to modify something which exists for projectors.

Laser readers do exist for projectors and such a device is easy to fit, but I would not use them as a starting point due to the amount of shot-noise they produce, and the edge-diffraction you get passing a coherent light source through a variable-area soundtrack and the slit-lens (which makes a great diffraction grating!). Both these artifcats produce some really peculiar effects, especially when decoding Dolby SR!

Two options exist:

1. Replace the existing light source with a RED-LED one. This is not uncommon and USL www.uslinc.com make an exciter-lamp replacement called JaxLight. It comes with a small in-line preamp to boost the signal from the solar cell, so the system is slightly more susceptible to hum pickup from ambient lighting.

2. Replace the entire assembly with a reverse-scan device. This replaces the Solar-Cell with a small LED array, and the slit-lens assembly with a lens and stereo cell with a very narrow slit. This improves HF response to ~16KHz after EQ and significantly reduces crosstalk. Fitting such a device would be more involved with (say) a MK3/URSA, as the LED requires heatsinking, and therefore some extra space may need to be accomodated by machining the capstan. This mod is also more difficult on Y-Front machines due to space restrictions around the Capstan. The Kinoton Reader has the shortest lens-lube, and therefore would be the best starting point.

Anyone out there need this desperately? If so I will design one!

Laurence Claydon
Bell Theatre Services Ltd

laurence at bell-theatre.com

Hello all,

Over the next few months, major studios will begin releasing films
with cyan dye optical sound-tracks.

To play the new analog sound-tracks your projector must be equipped
with a visible red light analog optical reader.

Film labs all around the world will be striking composite prints with
cyan dye tracks that will be UNPLAYABLE on our white light equipped
telecine optical readers.

Please help.  I have several 35mm lo con composite prints with these
cyan tracks; the original sound is in Japan and I am told exists as
optical neg only.  I need to use these opticals "as is" in telecine.

Looking for a cost effective way to do this.  Remember, I must use
the picture off these prints, so a modified dubber is not the way to
go.

I don't think I am the only poor sap who uses composite lo cons in telecine.

Thanks for any and all input on this new twist in our community.

M. Palazzola