[tig] viewing distances

hugh Waters hugh
Mon Sep 27 22:57:22 BST 2004

Clearly a lot to mull over.

It is interesting too because in audio dubbing suites there is a similar
problem. I recall one ex-colleague (Billy Mahoney, Head of Audio at
Molinare) pointing out the need for mixing to a large projected image, even
for TV drama, so that they didn't miss some minor action on screen that
needed a bit of foley that might well have been missed on a 20" monitor.
Given that the colourist is creating complex masks amongst other detailed
adjustments, I can see the need to be absolutely certain that they still
work on a full size cinematic screen.

Another person I was talking to recently reported that a DoP had said that
they liked a screen size that enabled them to see the entire screen, as
large as possible but without having to move their heads around to take it
all in.

Unlike TV, which is where most of us have come from, nothing is really fixed
in the new world. Aspect ratio, type of display (Might be cinema via digital
projector or via a print, might be a TV screen or even, shudder, a phone),
viewing conditions, delivery method etc

Anyway thanks to everyone for the links and thoughts.

Hugh
Hugh James Waters
Waters Technical Services
07801 053248