[Tig] Digital projectors

Laurence Claydon laurence
Mon Feb 20 16:46:03 GMT 2006

Hi Jeff,

I haven't seen images from the new SXRD projector (and would be
interested...). We recently acquired a Qualia 004 for HD dailies on the
new Bond picture, and it is just about bright enough for a 10ft picture
width with contrast at 1400:1. Remember here that any 3D preview LUT for
Film will be aiming for 5400K colour temperature (x=0.335, y=0.350) and
that you will lose a few ftL or so in the process. Gamma tracking also
needs a bit of a wiggle even to match a BVM-D monitor, but Sony supply
some handy software called 'Image Director', which despite being aimed
at the consumer is actually quite useful! I also need to find out
whether one can adjust convergence in the field (as it does shift in
transit)

I have been looking for a decent, portable machine for location work for
a while. Despite cost, the NEC iS8-2k (no-one else makes a 2k DLP this
size) still has it in terms of portability/screen size, proper
DLP-Cinema colour management and complete compatibility/repeatability
with the bigger NEC/Barco/Christie stuff in the DI houses. Nothing else
really cuts it at the moment.

I am promised that there will be a few small 2k's on the way soon from
other manufacturers ('bout time!)

Laurence Claydon
Bell Theatre Services Ltd