[Tig] LUTs compared to grading linear

Workflowers-C├ędric Lejeune c at workflowers.net
Mon Jul 24 07:59:50 BST 2006

Hello,

LUTs are simply tables where you set data, you can use them for 2 reasons:
1: the mathematical function you want to emulate is too complex and
takes too much processing power, so you calculate every value you need
and set it in a table so you only ask your machine to use the result
instead of calculate it.
2: you don't know what the mathematical function is and so you just
measure the values you can get to emulate the system, i.e. the response
of a film lab.

The LUTs we are using in our context are mostly translation LUTs to
convert data from one colourspace to another and viewing LUT that
emulate the processing of return to film. The first ones are simple
results of math functions (log to lin for example), the others are
result of a measurement process where you display some patches on your
display device, send them to the lab and measure the output, then match
them. Some tools can help you to generate them (RSR Cinespace, Kodak
KDM). Those one can only be valid if all the parameters in the chain
(kind of film stocks used, temperatures of baths, etc.) are constant, so
if you change any parameter you will have to regenerate a LUT.

In case of return to film you can choose to grade using a LUT that will
show you how it will look once back on film within a colourspace that
tries to match as much as possible the film, or grade in a regular HD
colourspace and then have the conversion done afterward using a colour
management system tool that will do its best to convert the HD
colourspace data in a film colourspace. Some boxes give pretty good
results. If you plan to return to film without one of those correction
then yes, you're running in a dead end. If you're grading for video
output and are able to tape out what you see, then WYSIWYG.

So to say unique standard LUT don't exist, it's all about context. Hope
this helps.

Cedric Lejeune
www.workflowers.net
DI/HD workflows