[Tig] Projection Screen for Film Grading

woz warrenl
Wed Mar 1 02:07:58 GMT 2006

Hi Florentijn
What kind of dimmable lights are you using please?
Do you know what the colour temperaure of the lighting is, and is it
constant (or near constant) as you dim the lights?
Thanks
still mongering along as usual,
woz (3sixtymedia/itv)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Florentijn Bos" <floor at filmmore.nl>
To: <tig at colorist.org>
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 9:35 AM
Subject: [Tig] Projection Screen for Film Grading

Hello fellow color-mongers,

We are in major transition to a new building and are also advancing our
pipeline for digital intermediate. We've been doing filmgrading for a few
years now already using a Baselight with a Truelight calibrated Sony FW900
CRT. But times change thus we are going to project in the filmgrading suite.
Now a lot is clear already, we can calibrate the reflected light using the
Truelight probe, proper levels of grey on the surrounding area, excellent
dimmable light, etc.

But one thing keeps confusing me, wich projection screen to choose? Wich
reflective fabric, and wich color? white, broken white, or light grey?
Projection resellers keep telling different story's, some say grey is for
video grading and white for film, but others claim the exact oppposite.

Anyone experience in this field? I would love to hear all of your
experiences, preferably without flaming eachother :)

Thanks for the help,
Florentijn Bos
Colorist
Filmmore Amsterdam