[Tig] Sony 32" monitors

Ronald Williams rwilliams
Fri Mar 24 18:23:08 GMT 2006

I have had similar discussions with Sony about this very topic.
A little background. The SMPTE spec. for Luminance on a Window pattern is 35 Ft L. Yes  it
is. (as the Chair of that committee and co author) read it!!  As I have traveled the
world's post houses,  most setup to 30!  Why, if the spec first written in 1988, -  since
revised ( for other reasons) is still 35,  are post houses using 30??? It goes back to
another Sony monitor issue. The 1910 could only output 30 before the beam spread broke out
and it started to defocus the beam and bloom. So that was the breaking point. It was many
years before they changed the tube and power supply to be able to go to 35 - or higher and
not have the beam defocus. The new generation of CRTs can handle the higher level and
still hold the beam and not bloom. But  ?.. Because we are creatures of habit -- nobody
would go to the spec of 35!  When we asked why? "Because that is the way we always have
done it". Is it correct? NO! Is it to the spec -NO!  Now some intelligent houses realized
this and said " OK we are to the spec", but the others that didn't move forward had a
problem with interchange. Now here we are with old and new. So to stem the tide most of
the New decided to stay true to the spec but make interchange easier and went to 33 FtL.
So if you ask about what is the setting?? You can get a varied answer.

Now, to your other question about the HD monitors. Gee the story gets to be the same old
problem with a giant step backwards. The HD $40K USD monitor can only output about 22 FtL
before the beam ??.. you know. So although the 35 FtL is still in the HD spec,  the Sony
monitor can't output it--well it can,  but with consequences. Back to the 1910 days. So
Sony for the longest time was trying to convince the industry that the HD spec was 20 FtL.
Because that?s all it could do and still make a sharp picture.

Yes you can run them higher, and yes it beam will spread, and yes the tube life will
decrease. So the conclusion is to : 1) run to spec with issues. 2) save the tube and what
ever life you can save, for who knows how long.

  The monitor itself has a long list of issues as many of you have experienced. As well as
its not what you think it is --Issues.

As I said in my presentation at the HPA -- "We don't have a display for the signals we
use" -- But the consumers Do !!!!

R Williams
The LANDMARK Grp
LA USA