[Tig] Digital cinema - vinyl v cd

Adrian Thomas adrian
Thu Mar 30 10:19:57 BST 2006

I grew up with high quality turntables, as my father was something of
an enthusiast himself, but where do you even start with the myriad
problems that vinyl brings to recorded sound? Bearing rumble, wow,
flutter, gross harmonic distortion, static clicks, dust pops, tonearm
ringing, scratches, acoustic feedback, fluff whoosh, seriously non-
linear frequency response, hopeless channel separation etc etc. It
makes the problems of band-limited CD look very tame by comparison.
Could ANYONE actually say with confidence what high levels of jitter
SOUND like? Frankly, vinyl has some way to go before it can match
analogue tape recordings, let alone digital optical discs.

And no, I'm not bothered if a vinyl system can struggle out an
attenuated, harmonically distorted waveform at 25Khz, my hearing
didn't even make it to 17Khz last time I checked! FWIW, I enjoy
handling and playing vinyl records too (Laserdiscs are even lovelier)
but great cover art doesn't make great sound.

--
Adrian Thomas
Automatic Television