[Tig] Digital cinema - vinyl v cd

Rob Lingelbach rob
Wed Mar 29 19:32:19 BST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:05:10 +0100, sprescott wrote

> Compare a well recorded violin piece on a quality
> vinyl pressing and an Audio cd and you should notice
> that high frequency high amplitude sounds are not
> reproduced that well by 44.1Khz 16bit CD it's not
> the only difference but its easy to hear ( you will need
> a top quality setup).
> Hence the development of DVD-Audio and SACD.

yes, as I listen quite a bit to classical music where the dynamics and harmonics are
all-important, and I had the privelege of having a top-quality setup (now in storage
unfortunately) I frequently noticed problems both in dynamic range and in
frequency response with CDs vs. vinyl, though there are many variables of course.

One of my favorite tests was to compare the vinyl pressing of an old Stones album
with its CD equivalent, through this system, and it was remarkable how much I was
missing in the CD.. but it certainly wasn't a controlled test as regards the
mastering etc.

Rob

Rob Lingelbach   http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html   rob at calarts.edu