[Tig] The tapeless post prod environnement

Simon Cuff simon.cuff at digitalvision.se
Thu Nov 9 23:45:01 GMT 2006

Dear Michel,

I think this is easier when you start from scratch with a new facility and
new kit. Harder when you have to transition from linear solutions.

A Punto La Pospo in Barcelona and more recently Chimney Pot in Moscow have a
tapeless environment inside the facility and the only time tape is used is
when the client requests a tape delivery. This is probably the last thing
that will go.

A Punto La Pospo are definitely ground breaking in terms of their approach.
They have various shared storage solutions to provide non-linear tapeless
editing, VFX and grading. One lights, best lights, conforms, masters are all
produced using data files on disk and there is not tape involved whatsoever.

Chimney in Moscow are just setting up a similar facility from the ground up
that is modeled on their operations in Stockholm, Oslo and Warsaw.

I think that there will be a big shift over the next 2 years as this
technology has matured and is more predictable, mainstream and accepted by
clients.

Simon Cuff.
Digital Vision.