[Tig] (was Oxberry) scanners

Micheletti, Bob (NBC Universal) bob.micheletti at nbcuni.com
Thu Nov 30 17:53:01 GMT 2006

> All i basically wanted from the scanner is... if i have a
> given density, i
> want the sensor to give the correct cineon CV straight out of the A->D
> conversion without any down-stream CV->CV luts.
> best,
> jason
> colorist
> mumbai

As I understand it, the common practice among scanner manufactures is to
A>D at 14 (or more?) bits then LUT the CVs to get log (14bit/lin>10bit/log LUT).
I think what you are describing is using a log preamp between the sensor and
A>D which theoretically would yield 14 bit (or more) log data.  This is not a
new idea but of course more complicated and less stable (more analog circuitry).
Come on scanner engineers...anyone doing it this way?

I defiantly side with the group that wants as much range as possible in the
scanning stage and have found many times that base cal scans have discarded
unrecoverable information.  It does make the colorist and the engineers work
more, but in a "controlled environment" the end product will be much better
if the entire CV range is used.  This of course is a bad idea for a scanning
service with many customers where standardization is most important.  Evan
in that environment I believe it is better to rough grade the scans to a middle
light and not just base cal.  Hopefully none of us believe the information
below cv 95 and above 685 can be discarded or rolled off.

One thing is for sure!  It is much easier to match back effects work when the
whole film is DI than it was when we had to match back only one shot in a
sequence to the O-neg.  If the information is discarded on the entire film you
don't miss it as much. ;-)

Bob Micheletti
Engineer
Universal Pictures