[Tig] European aspect ratio 1.66:1

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Tue Sep 12 18:30:38 BST 2006

On 9/12/06 6:55 AM, "Peter Swinson" <peter_swinson at compuserve.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the input. Seems a pity that the USA standards preclude 1.66:1.
> I guess all the 1.66 archived material will get chopped top & bottom.
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

When I've been asked to create a 1.66 transfer in the past, we've
"side-boxed" the material left and right, so that the top and bottom fit the
1.78 native aspect ratio of HD.  (That's assuming this will pass the Q/C
requirements of the distributor.)

It's clumsy, but it seems to be a modest compromise to me.  At least this
way, no one will lose any area top and bottom.  And I expect few viewers
will be annoyed by the (very minor) left and right mattes.

--Marc Wielage/Senior Colorist
Technicolor Creative Services
Hollywood, USA

NOTE:  The comments above are strictly mine, and may not necessarily
represent those of my employers.