[Tig] Universal Color Metadata challenge

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Sep 5 02:59:19 BST 2007

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Stu Maschwitz wrote:

> I have just posted an article on my blog about what I feel is a
> tremendously important issue facing the film industry right now, and
> it relates to all of you.  I would appreciate any thoughts or
> feedback from this group.

Nice article.  From everything I have read and heard it seems to be
right on the money except for the idea that one of the major vendors
should take sole responsibility for solving the problem.

Unfortunately, the film industry seems to be almost incapable of
usefully working together together to solve problems and publish
standards.  The standards which do see the light of day are usually
rubber-stamped re-wrapped vendor documents, white papers, or a
description of a process or hardware which has already been in use for
many years.  The part of SMPTE which is active at developing standards
is the video part.  The film part of SMPTE accomplishes little except
to specify film widths, and the spacing between sprocket holes.  The
postproduction area is almost entirely ignored unless you count MXF,
which is really video oriented.

Other industries don't have this problem.  If they did have this
problem, very little of the technology we enjoy would be working
today.  No Internet, ethernet, WiFi, cell phones, or Digital TV.

Participants in other industries see that it is vital that they
participate in actively developing standards since otherwise there
would be no interoperability and therefore no market to sell their
products into.

The DCI folks seem like the exception to the rule since they have
rapidly developed complex specifications which actually work and are
being fielded.  Vendors and customers worked together in order to make
this possible.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn