[Tig] Universal Color Metadata challenge

Stu Maschwitz 5tu at theorphanage.com
Wed Sep 5 03:55:04 BST 2007

On 070904, at 7:21 PM, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> The concept of a colorgrading metadata standard is relevant, but
> could it be achieved without stifling internecine progress through
> compeitiion?  Standards sometimes pave the way with a flawed
> pattern...

I see your point, but it strikes me that the last ten movies I've
seen in the theater were all graded with a Da Vinci 2K, using nothing
more than lift, gamma, gain and four or eight secondaries masked with
nothing but squares and circles.  I'm all for innovation in color
correction tools -- so much so that I'm actually attempting some
myself -- but if every major DI system has several basic features in
common, I'd sure love it if they were a bit more compatible.  Layer
your innovation on top of a solid foundation of standards.

Thanks for the great responses guys,

-Stu