[Tig] Anyone using Panasonic TH-50PF9UK HD Plasma monitor? AGC-related question

Michael Bittle mlbnyc at verizon.net
Fri Sep 21 20:06:22 BST 2007

David,

I think I ran into what you're describing on a compositing job a
couple of years ago.  The Panasonic plasma (similar model) was being
used as a "client" monitor.  The client noticed color shift between
scenes.  We verified this as a monitor "feature" by creating a wipe
between two frames, one black and one white.  At some early point
(maybe less than 20%) there was a noticeable shift in the background
(beyond picture frame) leading us to believe it was a backlight
adjustment.

My thought at the time was that this was a workaround for limited
dynamic range of flat panels; that if most everything was really dark
*or* really light, detail would be preserved by shifting the whole
picture into the display's sweet spot. Only full range content would
suffer crushed whites or blacks.  Of course the shift wreaked havoc
with color.

We moved the monitor into the conference room for sales pitches....

Please share if you figure out a useful hack!

Cheers,
Mike