[Tig] tig:CSI Latest UK Series !Quality!

Peter Swinson peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Wed Apr 9 11:20:04 BST 2008

I know it is a long time since I communicated here. Have been busied
elsewhere!   It's good to be back.

Last night I watched on UK Freeview Digital TV, the latest CSI: Crime Scene
Investigation series, well latest to the UK.
I know I am only watching SD TV,  RGB component, on 16:9  32" CRT, but the
quality was atrocious.
I switched between Terrestrial Digital, Satellite Digital and Terrestrial
Analog, All looked the same (Of course the PAL analog lost some detail
anyway)!
Is it still shot on film, if so, how was it transferred. I only ask because
it looked like

1)      The gamma was set to crush everything into the lowlights
2)      The blacks were lifted to a muddy grey, seemed to get worse as the
program proceeded.
3)      There was no real detail in any scenes, very plastic skin tones.
4)      On ANY movement ALL detail vanished.
5)      Flare from highlights looked as though the camera lenses surfaces
had been greased

Looked to me as though it had been through a noise reducer where all
controls were cranked to maximum..

The subsequent program, a previous series of CSI: Miami, looked it's usual.
vibrant, sharp, detailed, good tonal rendition, Colors oversaturated
somewhat, but I know that's the series "look".

Anyone else noticed this.

Is this a new style, appropriately honed for transmitting to mobile phones?

Or is it that I have over BRRE'd and my visual cortex is failing!

Cheers

Peter