[Tig] Is packaged media close to end of life?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Jan 8 03:48:30 GMT 2008

The article at http://tinyurl.com/29m8ga claims that all forms of
packaged media will be comming to an end soon, to be replaced by
Internet distribution of music and movies.  The claim is that unless
HD-DVD or Blu-Ray gets its act together soon, the future of packaged
media will be over.  Everyone will be using video on demand, or
scheduled video on demand.  The article also claim that DVDs look as
good as HD to most people.

While I have no doubt that eventually the Internet can be used for
mass distribution of movies, it seems to me that it is quite premature
to claim that this will happen any time soon.  An HD movie takes
20-30GB of space with "full" quality.  The idea that a hundred million
people would be transferring 30+ GB per day in the US alone seems
pretty mind-boggling and unfeasable any time soon.  Dedicated local
mirroring facilities would be required and the edge networks would
need quite a boost.

My DISH DVR now offers Internet-based video, but I notice that fully
half the offerings are porn, at $12 per pop, and even regular movies
cost about $3.  I have yet to try it.

Does anyone have a different opinion as to the future of packaged
media?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn