[Tig] OT TiVo (was: Re: Is packaged media close to end of life?)

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Tue Jan 8 13:41:12 GMT 2008

On Tue, January 8, 2008 4:12 am, Bob Kertesz wrote:

> My HD TiVo uses around 15-20 gig for a decent quality 2 hour movie.

forgive my ignorance on consumer video products but I don´t know
much about TiVo.  does it take baseband video (what I used to call
IF in radio-speak) and allow you to tune all the channels at your
convenience at a later time?  We used to play around with that with
shortwave radio, recording the IF to an audio tape recorder and then
´downconverting´ it.  It always seemed like magic, a form of time
machine.

Gnuradio is the GNU project that basically does almost all the
functions of radio and TV in software, including HD video.  All
that´s needed is a simple RF front end (sometimes consisting only of
an antenna!), an ADC, and the software.  transmission works just as
well in the opposite direction with a DAC.  There have been
unfortunate governmental attempts at outlawing the ownership of such
radios as they can quite easily tune the cellular bands, which the
cell industry succeeded in banning via regulations in an act of the
US Congress.

Rob Lingelbach  rob at colorist.org
http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html