[Tig] OT TiVo (was: Re: Is packaged media close to end of life?)

TSassoon at aol.com TSassoon at aol.com
Wed Jan 9 22:49:35 GMT 2008

In a message dated 1/9/08 1:14:30 PM, gd.tk at comcast.net writes:

> So how are you guys playing this stuff off of your computers and on to your
> big home TVs?

Most TV's have data inputs, so local display is pretty easy. But having
received an iPhone for Christmas, I'm recording at a desktop computer, then the
recordings are automatically compressed to H.264 and published through the
built-in web app generator and I can watch them from anywhere on the phone, which
has a pretty nice screen. Usually at lunch, at a restaurant with WiFi. Or, load
them as podcasts. If I want to watch it in true HD, the MPEG-2 TS files
through my laptop, on the couch, either using EyeTV or VLC.

PS haven't yet seen any reason whatsoever to buy Apple's TV appliance. The
Mac Mini is a great media server. Unobtrusive, reasonably priced, and hard
working.

Tim Sassoon
SFD vfx & creative post
Santa Monica, CA