[Tig] Laser TV color

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 13 19:46:19 GMT 2008

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> Anyone seen the new Laser TVs and can comment on their color rendition?

More info at "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_television".

Laser TVs are nothing new and I there was a DLP competitor 10 years
ago (Grating Light Valve) which is laser based and is still trying to
penetrate the market.  I believe that Sony purchased this technology
and has done nothing with it.

When LED based DLP displays were first demoed, they had extremely
saturated colors which were quite impressive with their saturation but
would cause anyone here to go haywire.  These products have now been
in the market for over a year so presumably the colors were made more
accurate.

The most important issues will be with dynamic range (usable black
levels), gammut, and accuracy.  If the laser output can be directly
modulated, then dymamic range can be improved dramatically.  If
micro-mirrors are used (as in DLP) then the dynamic range will not
improve quite as much, but it seems that light leakage (backscatter)
would be significantly reduced so the dynamic range would still be
improved dramatically.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn