[Tig] ASC Non-Theatrical Display Subcommittee Report

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Fri Jan 18 18:28:45 GMT 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 8:02 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> I do think that it is a good idea to review content on well
> calibrated consumer equipment as a sanity check.  I see a number of
> terrible artifacts on my HDTV which are probably nicely hidden on a
> professional CRT.  A common issue is "junk" near black which is
> hidden on a CRT but becomes amplified on TVs with less dynamic
> range or large steps between the lower black levels.

I assume there's no difference in signal with regard to compression?
(you're not talking about compression artifacts in transmission or
recording)

> TVs with a dynamic iris tend to amplify errors in black level.

dynamic iris = AGC  ?  In the case of one particular client several
years ago, I used to record a thin vertical 100% white line at the
very edge of raster.  We found that in transmission it helped to
control the AGC incorporated into some home receivers.

> LCDs and plasmas have similar issues. If the colorist knew about
> this "junk" then a small adjustment would make it go away without
> otherwise altering the appearance of the final product.

if the characteristics are similar between the display systems, then
there could be adjustments en suite.

In an edit suite we used to have a "typical Sony" home receiver in
the back of the room to do a transmission check (with encoding).  We
also would mix audio using Auratone near-field monitors instead of
the larger JBLs that at that time were the standard in the US.

In the realm of commercials, broadcast used to be so unreliable
between the different channels that we effectively gave up trying to
control the situation, and as long as we could confirm, between
facilities and the suites within, that we were in some kind of unity,
the clients were happy.  Then, in deference to an historic sarcasm in
Hollywood, as long as the spots looked good on the various show reels
of the artists involved....

--
As long as a woman can look ten years younger than her own daughter,
she is perfectly satisfied.