[Tig] Spirit vs. DSX

Peter Sutton peter at kaurus.com
Mon Jan 21 13:44:19 GMT 2008

Hi,
For what it's worth, I do not grade, just played at it many moons ago when I
used to demo Millenniums with 2K's. But I got to know what I like and what I
don't. This may seem a little impartial but I grew up in the grey curtained,
dimly lit bays, sat cross legged on the cold, threadbare cursory carpeting,
tweaking the very last in the MK3C line, swearing as I watched my black
pulse drift northward, but really got my hands dirty on Ursa and its
variants followed by messing around with Y-Front Dichroics, diopters and
waggley mirrors in the search of the right reds, no casts and clean blues.
Doing as much as you can up the front, keeping it clean and using the right
tools in the right place.
I have to say that from a personal and totally subjective point of view,
after seeing side by sides and tests after tests.....I like CRT. Whether I
describe CRT as 'Filmic' and CCD as 2 dimensional, there will always be
arguments, all valid from their technical, purist or just plain creative
perspectives. But, if you give a gifted colourist who's great with the
client as well as the tools that inspire the confidence and the want to play
with and push the images, and the client is over the moon, leaving to return
again - who can ask for more ;-)

Peter Sutton

(Ex-Cintel and Ex-ITK but these are my personal opinions)