[Tig] grading of stills, etc.

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Aug 3 05:37:22 BST 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> 'Aside from U.S. newspapers, most of which do not permit photos to be
> manipulated, it's quite possible that the vast majority of images seen in the
> public arena have been altered.'
>
> I didn't realize that US newspapers had that policy.  I wonder though, what

Images are always manipulated.  Perhaps you remember that the images
in old Playboy magazines were airbrushed to perfection before they had
computers to do the work.

Time magazine published a cover photo of Judge Sotomayer where she
looked more like a model than a wrinkly old judge.  Most recently,
photos have been posted of Sara Palin without her wedding ring.

Ultimately, any publication which wants to influence the reader will
do so by careful selection of the images they print.  If they do not
like a politician they will only print images with their mouth gaping
open, or looking particularly stern.  If they like the politician then
they will only publish photos where they look particularly wise or
friendly.  The same applies to war photos, or anything else where
influence is possible.

Fair and balanced opinions/impressions are no longer the objective of
most of the media, and films, so careful image selection and
alterations help propel the desired point of view.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn