[Tig] grading of stills, etc.

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Tue Aug 4 22:34:35 BST 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:58 PM, janet wilson wrote:

> The New York Times policy on photographs:  "No people or objects may
> be
> added, rearranged, reversed, distorted or removed from a scene
> (except for
> the recognized practice of cropping to omit extraneous outer
> portions).

I looked up the whole text thanks to your pointer.  It's nice to read,
and see
that it was written or last revised in 2003, so it's stood at least 6
years of
testing.

> Pictures of news situations must not be posed.

It must be hard to come up with all these conditions, and I can find a
few
loopholes, (what is a "news situation?") but I suppose that's not the
point.

>  fanciful
> contrived situations and demonstrations of how a device is used,

One fanciful and contrived situation that comes to mind is the
editor's, when
presented with what might be a fanciful or contrived image.
:/

> The L.A. Times' policy is essentially the same:  http://tinyurl.com/nn6v4m

This is nice to read:

"On occasion, we publish artistic or graphic renderings that include
altered photographs. Such renderings should be clearly labeled “photo
illustration.” Before creating a photo illustration, photographers,
photo editors and designers must obtain approval from a Senior Editor
for photography.
Complex graphic illustrations should be similarly labeled."

> increasingly difficult policy to enforce, papers are apparently
> trying to do
> so.

Hopefully these strictures apply to web-based images for those
newspapers.

> http://tinyurl.com/nnfs2v  That blog post contains a critique of
> Time's
> photo policy by a staff photographer for The Wichita Eagle.

very illuminating.

there is a Q+A on The NY Times' policy here that goes into detail:
http://tinyurl.com/nowu3t

though I detect a certain continental bias in this remark:

"I remember asking an Eastern European photographer what was in his
picture? His answer, "what do you want it to be?" Manipulation and
distortion can happen before an image gets processed and reproduced."

I wish the author had thought a little before writing that.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org