[Tig] Dates?

peter_swinson at compuserve.com peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Tue Aug 11 18:47:54 BST 2009

From a combination of dredging up the old grey cells,
Cintel’s website history and asking some “old timers” the history seems to go
like this

Mk. I Polygonal Prism system  Monochrome from late
1950’s.   Modified for Colour at BBC  early 1970’s.

Mk. II Twin Lens 35mm from late 1950’s,   16mmm from about 1963

Mk. III Jumpscan (2 hopping patches) introduced to 625 areas
1975. Around 1977  a NTSC version with 5 patches was introduced.

I am advised by ex designers of that era and an M.D of that
time that there was never a MKIIIB, but there may have been earlier in the
years a MKIVB
 but that was a slide scanner. Of course I am so young that there
may have been such a thing way way before my time !!!!

Mk. IIIC 1978 initially still as a jumpscan but soon
had a framestore added that eliminated the need for a hopping patch, If I
remember rightly and as Graham states “The options were coming thick and fast, by
Digi 3 we had  varispeed, zoom", and other trinkets.

MKIII-HD 1985. Development commences on a High Definition
(30MHz) version of the Mk III telecine, first exhibited in America in 1986 (1125lines ) and in a
European version in 1988 (1250 lines).

MKIIIC Digiscan 4:2:2
1987 brought telecines into the standardized world of=2
 0Digital Television

MKIII-ED. Circa 1987. This was a 13MHz bandwidth telecine
designed for British Satellite Broadcasting (Later became BSB under Sky Group).
BSB in its old guise was to be a world beater, using a square satellite
receiver dish, known as the squaerial and offering, high resolution widescreen
imaging. However Sky eclipsed its launch and within 1 year the system was dead!

1989 - The all-digital URSA makes its first appearance, at Montreux, and at
simultaneous launches in New York
and Los Angeles

1993   The Mk III HD
high definition telecine goes into service at Universal Studios in Hollywood

Don't shoot me if I am wrong

=0

cheers

Peter