[Tig] Hollywood versus the World

Steve Hullfish steve at veralith.com
Fri Aug 14 16:23:44 BST 2009

This color difference between east and west coast is something that's
been pretty thoroughly documented. It's definitely an interesting
cultural difference.

I also heard from people off-list that grading suites outside of the
US tend to be much more minimalist compared to Hollywood or even US
suites in general. Comments?

Do people come to color grading as a profession in different ways than
in the US? Possibly some come more from an arts background or from a
film school background while others are more from a technical/
engineering background?

Or what about pay-wise and prestige? Are colorists "rock stars" like
some are in Hollywood? Or are they simply cogs in the wheel of post-
production?

Is there a significant difference in the gear that's used outside of
Hollywood? A preference toward a manufacturer or a workflow that is
different in different parts of the world?

The push in Hollywood seems - and other places that I know in the US -
seem to be trending away from "telecine" and towards film scanning. Is
the rest of the world or even the rest of the US swinging just as fast
in the same direction?

I'm just trying to drum up some good discussion. (I don't have any
future books in the works. :-)

Steve Hullfish
author, "The Art and Technique of Color Correction."