[Tig] color correction

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Sat Aug 15 00:19:12 BST 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Beau Tardy wrote:

> Rob said: "What modern, electronic-digital grading system could
> create something
> like the
> Photochrome process, as exemplified in this print:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NYC_Mulberry_Street_3g04637u.jpg

Hi Beau,

Actually it was done as a Photochrom in a process that predates
Photoshop by more than 100 years.   from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photochrom  the following:

Photochrom[Note 1] (also called the Aäc process) prints are colorized
images produced from black and white photographic negatives via the
direct photographic transfer of a negative onto lithographic printing
plates.

> That's not fair, this image was painted in photoshop! :)  I don't
> know that you could color a film that way without rotoscoping and
> matte painting.

Sometimes it pays to look back a bit to see the original techniques.
Kind of
like learning counterpoint before playing jazz.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org