[Tig] Avatar in 3D - Color shifts

Sai sai at efxmagic.com
Tue Dec 29 02:33:21 GMT 2009

Hello All,
             I had the exact same experience. I am told the dcp was mastered for a 4.5 ftl which is way way too low. The contrast also appeared less than desirable. The screen was a Harkness , projectors by Barco , glasses by Master Image - I had no answer except tell myself this must be what it was intended to look like. ... Until I saw it again on Imax 3D (analog film based)  and wow - what a difference in image quality. The colors we brilliant, contrast and brightness were awesome (in relation to the DCP) and it was a great experience.
I guess somewhere in the DCI specifications  (3D)  there are some gaps that impact the overall end experience. Will investigate further as we will have 3D in post pretty soon and need to know what not to do.

Any tips would be welcome.

-sai
Prasad Corp
www.efxmagic.com