[Tig] Moon dogs

Kevin Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 09:17:34 BST 2009

Richard Kirk wrote:
> You can get little ticks on either side of the moon due to diffraction by
> hexagonal ice crystals very high in the atmosphere. There are called 'Moon
> dogs'. There are rarer cases where ice forms in different shapes and can
> give you bright spots in other places.

The Astronomy Picture of the Day had an example recently:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090611.html

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |

Cinesite (Europe) Ltd. Registered Office: HemelOne, Boundary Way, Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP2 7YU Registered in Cardiff No. 2820389 VAT No. 630 5446 60