[Tig] What color is it in here?

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Mon Mar 30 18:16:27 BST 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Richard Kirk wrote:

>  Goethe described the moods of his Red, Blue, and Yellow primaries
> as 'Serene' for the red corner,  'Mighty' for the blue corner, and
> 'Melancholic' for the Yellow,  whoah Maan, I got the yellows, I got
> the yellows reeeal baad (da-Da-da-Dum), etc. I don't think I agree
> with any of those.

I think you had to be of the time; just as music has its modal
influences and progression of harmony, so did art, in its
shades, hues, tones, etc.

> I think the blue for night phenomenon, though it is not a blue that
> any current color measuring instrument will see, is nevertheless
> something that feels 'right' for anyone. Even some of these
> phenomena have to be learned. Brunelleschi had to demonstrate that
> we saw things in perspective by 'wiping' between his drawing and a
> mirror. However, once we overcome our resistance to the unfamiliar,
> then it 'feels right' to us.

another example of this, as pointed out extensively in the TIG by P.
Swinson, is our psychological reaction to grain, or,
stochastic resonance.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org