[Tig] fade ins, fade outs.

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Sun May 3 14:09:20 BST 2009

On May 2, 2009, at 11:00 PM, S. T. Nottingham III wrote:

> This phenomena is what happens when there is "cross-over" between
> the 3

When I started this thread it was to answer a question that plagued
me:  why,
in a particular spot on my reel, does the fadeout look non-linear-
that is to
say, the whites in the fadeout remain clipped as it fades to black.
The fade was
done in Final Cut.  As Marc Wielage pointed out, the fade is linear,
but that's
not what bothers me- it's the constant clipping that occurs as it goes
to black.

Please note, this is not an attempt at self-promotion in having to
look at my
reel; I don't currently have a way to cut down the reel to just this
section
(my FCP is inoperative right now).  I entertain opinions on why the
fadeout
seems to compress the whites and bring the color/luminance curve down in
a nonlinear fashion.

The reel is at http://reels.colorist.org/reel.html   and the exact
section to which
I refer starts at 4:21 and lasts until black at 4:23.

appreciate all opinions.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org