[Tig] film vs other

Florentijn Bos|bosti.nl tig at bosti.nl
Thu May 28 13:09:42 BST 2009

Hi Tom,

Well over here (Netherlands/Belgium) I would say for feature film it is
about 65% film and 35% other, it fluctuates each year a bit though. I
also get some rumors that people are more and more grading with the
editor. Personally I think these are mainly projects which would
otherwise never get any grading at all. So if you see it in that
perspective, it is only an improvement.

Perhaps new directors/DOPs get a bit of the feel of the necessity of
grading and when their projects get bigger they will make the transition
to a real grading suite.

Most of the HD/RED pioneers here only use digital acquisition out of
budget reasons, if they have the choice most of them know that film is
in all ways superior.. Some of the old-skool HD pioneers actually
switched back to film because the whole DI thing has gotten much more
affordable then like 5 years ago.

However I do think that it is just a matter of time until a camera is
developed that can capture more light without compression so everyone
would do wise to always stay on top of things and not just ignore the trend.

My 20 eurocents :-)
Floor