[Tig] Apple Color strange behavior

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Aug 13 21:08:50 BST 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> I created a 16 bit tiff file (using Matlab) containing a gray ramp,
> i.e. code values from 0 to 65535 in each RGB channel in a linear
> horizontal ramp (so no gamma encoding).  When I input this into
> Apple Color, I therefore expect it to show me linear relationship in
> the RGB scopes.

Default behavior for an integer TIFF file will be to assume that the
values are gamma corrected so that they represent intensities (i.e.
not "linear").  It is possible to add a gamma tag to a TIFF file to
indicate the gamma which is actually used.

Apple has always been weird about gamma since it uses different
display gamma than the rest of the world.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn