[Tig] DPX 10bit or 12bit for Film OUT

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Dec 23 15:01:20 GMT 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Jack James wrote:

> Very rare to use 12-bit dpx. In fact I would imagine some film
> recorders can't read 12-bit files. This is the case for 35mm sourced
> material, so it will apply to RED footage just as much. I very much
> doubt that RED footage can even fill out a 12-bit space, but perhaps
> that's for another topic

While being simple (essentially 16-bit DPX with lower 4 bits
implicitly ignored), 12 bit DPX is indeed quite rare.  Perhaps the
only support for it was promoted by support for it in GraphicsMagick.
:-)

There is indeed value to 12 bit DPX since HD-SDI is capable of
transferring 12-bits and DPX is a good container for it.  At least one
very-high end HD camera (Genesis camera from Panavision) has developed
support for 12-bit HD-SDI captured into 12 bit DPX, using
GraphicsMagick's 12-bit DPX as the reference for the format.  At least
that is what I am lead to believe based on discussions with John Galt.

Regardless, if you are planning to use more than the standard 10-bit
DPX, you might as well go all the way to 16-bit for processing since
it takes the same disk space as 12-bit.  Since the file formats are
virtually the same, it is trivial to "unmask" 12-bits into 16-bit (or
scale), providing the "missing" bits necessary to promote to 16-bits.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn